International scientists gather for Biomag 2022
It was four years in the planning, and the 22nd Biomag conference was a triumph. Biomagnetism is the measurement of magnetic signals in the human body and the conference attracted more than 600 international experts in cognitive neuroscience, clinical neuroscience, cardiology and sensor technology.
Birmingham is a centre of world excellence in the sector – with two of Britain’s 10 magnetoencephalography (MEG) sites – so the University was the natural home for Biomag 2022.
It was chaired by our own Professor Ole Jensen, of the University’s Centre for Human Brain Health, who was delighted to be finally presiding over a conference which covid had cancelled twice.
“It’s been absolutely brilliant,” he said. “The Event Management team made it all very smooth …they have done all the practical work so I have been able to focus on the academic side of things.
Deputy Head of Event Management Louise Walczak worked with Prof Jensen, alongside event management colleagues George Merriman and Lauren Venables, to help deliver a truly international conference across several venues with virtual platforms, providing everything from social networking opportunities to expert speaker support:
- There were 4 keynote speeches in the Great Hall, with full audio visual support
- 19 symposiums where groups of speakers presented abstracts
- A huge poster exhibition in the Green Heart Marquee
- Virtual platform for online delegates, who could watch lectures, view the entire poster exhibition, network, and take part in virtual discussions
- Catering and registration in the Green Heart Marquee
- Award ceremonies
- Satellite meetings ahead of the conference at Edgbaston Park Hotel
- Accommodation for delegates at Edgbaston Park Hotel and the Vale Village
- Creation of the Biomag website
- Budget management, delegate payment management and sponsor packages
- Speaker and delegate management
- An external social evening held at the Custard Factory
The next Biomag is due to take place in Australia in 2024.
If you’re an academic at University of Birmingham and want to bring a conference or event to campus, it might be easier to organise than you think. Contact our experts in the award-winning Conference and Events team: [email protected] or 0121 415 8400.