Making a booking

How do I book?

Get in touch! You can email us with your enquiry, or give us a call Monday-Friday 8.30am – 5pm on 0121 415 8400. The team can help you out with venue choices, so don’t worry if you aren’t sure which venue is right for you.

What are the capacities of your rooms?

Everything from intimate meeting rooms for 10 to seating for 1000. View venue capacities, or visit individual venue pages for a more in-depth view. Alternatively, download a full venue spec sheet.

Can I book multiple rooms?

Yes. Lots of our venues have breakout spaces or additional meeting rooms in the same building or a short stroll away. There’s a huge amount of flexibility available, from smaller meeting rooms to lecture theatres, concert halls, exhibition spaces to the great outdoors.

Can I book breakout rooms?

Yes. The University of Birmingham campus has a wide range of breakout spaces, from open-plan areas to individual meeting rooms. To make it easy for attendees, they’ll be located in or near your main venues or exhibition spaces. Just let the team know what you need when you make your enquiry, and they’ll help you select the best option.

Can I book a venue during term time?

Yes, you’ll find venues available here all year round, and accommodation too. This is a large global university, however, so at certain times of year – during exams or graduations, for example – some of our venues such as breakout rooms or the Great Hall may not be available.

Can I arrange my own catering?

All catering at our venues is provided in-house. There’s a good reason for this: the chefs and serving staff know each venue intimately, what works and what doesn’t, and that guarantees you the best quality and highest level of service. They’ll be happy to talk you through your options, or discuss bespoke menus and drinks.

What catering is available to me?

Everything from fine dining to hot and cold lunch buffets or morning coffee. View the hospitality menu.

How early do I need to confirm numbers and choices for catering?

To ensure the freshest ingredients, it’s important to follow the deadlines provided by your event coordinator. View the event catering guidance to find the confirmation times for your venue or menu. Of course, sometimes the unexpected happens. If you need some flexibility or to make last-minute changes, please contact the team as soon as possible.

Can I book hotel accommodation?

Yes, if you’re planning a large residential conference. The team will support you with options on campus or in the city.

For individuals, accommodation should be booked directly with the hotel of your choice. The Conferences & events team do not manage individual hotel bookings.

The University of Birmingham campus offers two hotel options: Edgbaston Park Hotel and Conference Centre, and Lucas House Hotel. Book online at their website or give them a call.

Can I book University accommodation?

Yes, if you’re booking a summer conference and would like to book for a group. En-suite University accommodation is available between 14th July and 13th September 2019. Find out more about group accommodation in the summer.

Unfortunately, we’re not able to offer this accommodation to individuals.

Can you support my conference or event booking with evening activities, etc?

Absolutely. Your event coordinator will be happy to share their expertise and local knowledge, and can make bookings for you. The campus also has its own art gallery, the Barber Institute of Fine Arts; the Lapworth Museum of Geology; and a range of curated materials in the private Cultural Collections. Please ask if any of these have particular relevance to your event – it may be possible for us to arrange a guest speaker or support enhancing your event in other creative ways.

Can you help me plan my event?

Yes. As part of your booking, most events will have the support of a dedicated event coordinator. They’ll provide a single point of contact for you, making it easy to stay on top of catering, cleaning, portering, security, plus those extra details or last-minute changes.

If you’re organising a large-scale conference, the Academic Conferences and Event Manager provides event management services for a fee, from supporting you with the bidding process and creating your website to making the event itself a success.

How do I book a venue at Edgbaston Park Hotel and Conference Centre?

Conference and meeting venues at Edgbaston Park Hotel and Conference Centre, and Lucas House Hotel should be booked directly with Edgbaston Park Hotel. Call 0121 414 8888 or email

However, if you’re planning a large conference which will include venues at the hotel and across campus, contact the Conferences & events team here.

Can I book a DJ or live music at my event?

Yes. The University holds a number of premises licences which allow regulated entertainment (like screening a movie, or live music), the sale of alcohol, and late-night refreshments. If a licence isn’t already in place, you may need to apply for a temporary licence. Let us know when you’re making your booking, and the team will let you know if there’s anything you need to do.

Can I put up a marquee on campus?

Yes. We need to make sure the University’s grounds can be maintained to a high standard, so permission has to be granted for marquees and other outdoor staging. You can get a request form from the Conference Managers – just ask when you make your enquiry. Marquees must be ordered through our authorised list of suppliers.

Can I book a Careers event?

Yes. Email us with your enquiry, or give us a call Monday-Friday 8.30am – 5pm on 0121 415 8400. If your event requires liaison with the University’s careers service or others, we’ll sort it all out.

Can I book examinations in the Great Hall?

Yes, booking the Great Hall for exams is managed by the Conferences & events team. Email us to enquire, or give us a call Monday-Friday 8.30am – 5pm on 0121 415 8400.

Can I have my wedding at the University of Birmingham?

Yes – and congratulations! The University of Birmingham’s licensed wedding venue is Edgbaston Park Hotel and Conference Centre. You can choose to get married in the modern suite, or in historic Hornton Grange’s skylit extension. Find out more about weddings at Edgbaston Park Hotel.

What is a purchase order (PO)?

Unlike an invoice (which a company sends a customer to request payment), a PO is submitted by the customer to officially confirm and authorise an order. If you’re a private individual, ask about alternative payment options.

Do I need to complete a risk assessment?

Not for typical conferences or meetings. However, you will need to complete one if your event involves: the outdoors; the delivery and setup of equipment, stands or décor from external suppliers; children on campus; large numbers of visitors; other circumstances that might incur risk. It is your responsibility to provide us with your risk assessment documentation.

Do I need to have my event approved for Freedom of Speech?

Yes, if you’re inviting a guest speaker who is not affiliated with the University of Birmingham, or if the subject matter otherwise requires one. Visit the University’s Freedom of Speech page to see the process, download a request form, and to view the Code of Practice and Code of Conduct.

Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

Yes, you will need Public Liability Insurance if your event involves: the outdoors; the delivery and setup of equipment, stands or décor from external suppliers; children on campus; large numbers of visitors; other circumstances that might incur liability.

View the University of Birmingham’s Public Liability document.

Can I see your Health and Safety policy?

Yes. You can read the University of Birmingham Health and Safety Policy – it applies to us too.

What is your Sustainability policy?

Like so many of us, we want to be more sustainable in our everyday lives. We bring this into our work wherever possible, in line with the University of Birmingham’s plans and policies. The sustainable food procurement policy promotes using local suppliers and ethical traders, and reducing waste in catering. We aim to use recycled or low-impact materials in printed collateral, create digital alternatives when we can, and support recycling at events.