We are committed to employing the best people and investing in them. We also have an extensive benefits package that includes time off to volunteer in the community, a generous annual leave allowance, discounted fees at our three Ofsted-registered day nurseries, and access to LinkedIn Learning to support your professional development.
Why work for us
We are an exciting business that invests in our people because we know they make the difference. The great thing about working for us is that no two days are the same; every event is different, and we get to work with a range of interesting and exciting people.
Benefits of working here
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £25,506 to £27,399, with potential progression once in post to £31,718
Full Time, Permanent
Closing date: 23rd October 2022
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
Campus Services is responsible for a very large range of services within the University of Birmingham: student accommodation, catering, cleaning and waste management, conferences and events, delivering the University’s post, day nurseries, security, Winterbourne House & Garden, ensuring we remain at the pinnacle of university sport in the UK and more. You will work within the busy Campus Services Marketing team which supports all areas of Campus Services. The team works across a variety of audiences, clients, and sectors – including hospitality and leisure, retail, business to business (B2B) and business to consumer (B2C).
We see graphic design as visual storytelling that engages, informs, and inspires. We are looking for a creative graphic designer who can take conceptual ideas and create visual representations, both in print and electronic media. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of and experience with current design software and be skilled with every step of the design process from concept to the final deliverables.
You will be able to take direction from written or spoken ideas, ensure you have a thorough understanding of requirements, and convert them into a design that connects. You will have a thorough understanding of branding and marketing, with the ability to vary style and layouts depending on the project.
Working with the Senior Graphic Designer, you will be responsible for the generation of creative ideas for multi-discipline campaigns, producing the very best solutions to help solve client challenges.
You will be passionate about creative, digital media and technology, keep abreast of the latest innovations and trends, continuously develop your skillset and pro-actively put forward ideas to support clients’ challenges and drive business growth.
The role is a task and project driven role that may require work outside of core hours and is driven by schedules and by delivery deadlines. The post holder may therefore be required to work both flexible and extended hours to deliver.
- Work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects, scheduling project implementation based on deadlines, and delivering original, innovative, multi-disciplined creative solutions to meet briefs – this will include:
- effectively discussing and interpreting briefs, researching audiences and offering creative suggestions and solutions;
- generating creative and innovative ideas from start through to concept development and visual mock-ups;
- storyboard and developing outline scripts ideas;
- developing rough drafts of concepts and presenting these to colleagues/clients;
- presenting final design concepts, including specifications for fonts, images, colours, text and layout, to clients for their approval;
- producing high quality, accurate final files to print and digital specifications, including checking proofs, archiving, and filing as agreed;
- liaising with external parties, such as printers, to ensure that a project runs smoothly, and a client’s expectations are met;
- proactively keeping clients up to date with regard to project progress.
- Develop visual concepts by hand or with computer software. Intended to captivate, inform, inspire, and/or persuade.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the marketing team to ensure that outputs are informed by a common vision and consistent branding.
- Update and maintain internal databases of designs, photography, and video.
- Work with the wider Conferences and events team and academic colleagues to create presentations and conference bids.
- Collaborate with colleagues across Campus Services on a wide range of materials that may include web pages, presentations, programming collateral, signage, internal communication, newsletters, and marketing materials.
- Ensure that all activities and services comply with health and safety regulations, including the timely and accurate issue of risk assessments.
- Support equality and values diversity, moderates own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
- Represent Campus Services Marketing at appropriate meetings, both internally and externally as required.
- Support new projects within the Campus Services as specified by the Head of Marketing and Communications.
- Provide support for manager(s) in promoting sustainability across the University, supporting the ISO20121 event management standard.
- Any other duties as required by the Head of Marketing and Communication.
- Confidently communicate with colleagues, active participation in briefing and feedback meetings, leading on advising from a concept and design perspective.
- Listening to and responding to feedback in an appropriate manner.
- Ensure content is accessible to all end users, the regulatory and legal requirements when using media assets such as copyright and intellectual property rights are met, web accessibility is optimised; all content is backed up and archived and adheres to university brand guidelines.
- Support and contribute to developing the marketing team’s reputation, including sharing knowledge, regular contributing to blogs etc.
- Act as a role model to other members of the team in championing Campus Services values and behaviours.
- Identify opportunities for Campus Services marketing to support university objectives by seeking and building relationships with staff across the University as well as external contacts, including developing, maintaining and using professional networks.
- Continuously develop own skillset to ensure the team’s creative and design offering meets the needs of the clients now and in the future.
- Educated to A level standard, or equivalent level 3 qualification such as a Level 3 NVQ, or level 3 national diploma or relevant work experience evidencing the skills and ability to undertake the role.
- Minimum of grade C or 4 in Mathematics and English at GCSE or equivalent.
- Extensive practical experience using industry standard packages, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Aftereffects, InDesign Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Acrobat and Presentation software, as well as Microsoft Office/PowerPoint to create, edit and post produce content and assets.
- A thorough understanding of graphic design, typography and digital standards
- Knowledge of website interface design and usability, HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver an advantage but not essential.
- Moderate skills to be able to produce basic animations, films (e.g. talking heads) and social media videos.
- Photography experience and proficiency with photo-editing software.
- Excellent creativity and innovative design skills evidenced through a strong portfolio of work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly convey complex ideas or technical details and sell them to the client/customer.
- Ability to manage time working on multiple projects with different deadlines, delivering quality products to budget and on time.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with a wide range of colleagues and customers.
- Evidenced enthusiasm for creating content and continuously developing knowledge and skillset
The role will require the exercise of personal initiative within and beyond the department and with external contacts. Excellent teamworking skills to effectively collaborate with other creatives.
Planning and organising
The role is required to work independently on daily, weekly and monthly tasks, but also on projects with medium-longer-term horizons without daily supervision. You will use your knowledge and experience to plan and deliver a number of design projects concurrently and effectively. Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines and targets, with a flexible and adaptable approach to your work and working hours.
Problem solving and decision making
You will work with direction from your manager, but you will have a significant degree of autonomy. You will deal with more complex projects and be expected to resolve any problems in your area of responsibility. You will need to proactively recognise possible challenges and provide innovative solutions before they become an issue.
Internal and external relationships
You will liaise with internal colleagues and stakeholders University-wide and also with external stakeholders. Develop and maintain a professional working relationship with the team, clients and stakeholders. You will work closely with External Relations and Creative Media to ensure projects are aligned with the university brand. You may also be required to complete work led by either of those two areas. You will also support academics with conference bids often working to a tight deadline.
Informal enquires to Hannah Hands, email: [email protected]
View our staff values and behaviours here
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.